Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Zen In The Martial Arts Reflection: Mariano M. Huezo

In the book Zen and the Martial Arts, there are many lessons you can learn throughout the book. For me, the chapters that spoke to me the most were "Seize The Moment", "Do Not Disturb", "Anger Without Action", and "Winning By Losing."  "Seize the Moment" and "Do Not Disturb" touched me because there are times I look back and realize the amount of time I would waste on mindless things. Not only things I do but with some people I spend time with. I find myself asking why do I even waste time with these people and how will I even benefit from the time I am wasting.

"Anger Without Action" spoke to the younger side of me. When I was younger I would tend to act with anger and that just led me to more problem. It is ok to be angry but to act with anger not only puts you in a vulnerable situation but your anger can affect others. This chapter made me deepen my viewpoint on anger. Rage is not the only outcome or reason to fight and most of the time you fight with rage you will lose.

"Winning By Losing" also touched me because of my childhood. When I was younger I would never beat my brother at games in general. I lost almost every game we have played till I was 9 or 10. I didn't like to lose so this would also correlate with acting with anger. Every time I did lose I learned more and more about how my brother played and as my knowledge grew on the situation I finally won. I didn't really like my brother when I was younger but now he is one of the most important people in my life and can't imagine my life without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment